Every month the committee awards the ‘Competitor of the Month’ award to someone who has achieved something great in their motor sport. It doesn’t have to be first place, sometimes overcoming adversity (or is that reliability?) is enough. We’ll send you a voucher for £20 too. Tell us what you’ve been up to each month by email.
- November Competitor Of The Month – Mark Bullen
Early November saw Mark Bullen cross the channel to compete on the Rallye Des 7 Vallées D’Artois in his BMW Rivett, complete with his SCMC fan club (see the latest Spotlight magazine for more details). Competing against much newer, expensive technically advanced machinery, Mark finished an impressive 24th o/all from 85 starters, also finishing 2ndBritish crew out of 15.
- September Competitor Of The Month – Dale Huxford
Armed with his replacement second-hand 1500cc, £250 engine, which is slower than his old 1300cc (the old 1300cc had decided that it didn’t want be together anymore and is now in many pieces !!), Dale showed that he’s lost none of his skill and pushed the Spitfire to its limits to finish 2nd in class at Gurston in September.
- July Competitor Of The Month – Angelica Fuentes
- June Competitor Of The Month – Graeme Bell & Russ Radford
Abingdon CAR-nival Stages 2017 Winners Graham Bell and Russ Radford put up a great fight in the Proton Satira Neo to try and regain their title on the 22nd running of the event but they just finished a few seconds behind the pocket rocket Darrian GTR of Chris Woodhouse, after both competitors had been tied on stage times after 5 stages during a day long battle for the win.
Photo courtesy of www.rallygallery.com
- May Competitor Of The Month – Joint Winners – Ryan Stutchbury & Martin Pickles
- April Competitor Of The Month – Mark Straker
- March Competitor Of The Month – Declan Dear
- February Competitor Of The Month – Ian & Oliver Hucklebridge
Ian & Oliver got their 2018 season off to a great start with 2 o/all on the South Downs Stages at Goodwood in mid-February. Ian followed this up with 8th o/all on the Snetterton Stages later in the month starting from car 28 in this Motor Sport News Circuit Rally Championship qualifying round.
Photo courtesy of www.mandhphotography.co.uk
- November 2017 Competitor Of The Month – Richard Seal
Richard proved the seeding committee wrong on the Challenger Stages at Bovington by finishing 5th overall, 3rd in class from a start number of 35.
Photo courtesy of RallyGallery.com
- October 2017 Competitor Of The Month – Joint Winners – Martin Pickles & Shawn Rayner/Declan Dear
Martin’s last sprint event of the season was at Anglesey and he managed a PB on Saturday and got a podium in 3rd. On Sunday Martin certainly made himself heard, as the exhaust fell apart, so he had to back off a bit but without that he was confident that other PB could have been achieved.
Shawn & Declan had an eventful but very successful month in October. The month started with the Cork 20 Historic Rally and a broken driveshaft on the first day would have put most people out of the rally but with the help of most of Ireland the offending item was replaced (not straight forward – see video below). They managed to get back out onto the stages on the Sunday to claim 3rd Overall in the Irish Historic Championship, a great achievement at their first attempt. This was followed up with an excellent 13th o/all, 1st in class on the Wales Rally GB National.
- September 2017 Competitor Of The Month – Rob Jones & Gary Kinghorn
- August 2017 Competitor Of The Month – Mark Welch & Mark Norris